Thursday, September 15, 2011

Lies Women Believe

I am leading a women's small group through a study of Nancy Leigh DeMoss's book Lies Women Believe.  This book is a must read for all women.  She covers 40 different lies from the enemy and gives Scriptures of Truth to replace them.  For so long I didn't realize that in order to be successful in stopping the lies, you must replace them with truth.  She provides the truths so you don't have to go researching it on your own to find them.

This week's lessons hit several lies I've been believing, some of which I didn't even realize.  (Not all women believe all 40 lies.  You will read some that will not resonate with you and others that do.)  Here are 3 of the lies we read about this week.  All 3 have plagued me for 37 years.

Lie: God is not really good.  If he were, he would...
Truth: God is good, and everything he does is good. He never makes mistakes.
Psalm 31:19, 34:8, 100:5, 119:68, 136:1, Ephesians 1:3-14, Isaiah 46:10, Romans 8:28-39

Lie: God doesn't love me.
Truth: God's love for me is infinite and unconditional. I don't have to perform to earn God's love or favor.  God always has my best interests at heart.
John 15:13, Romans 5:8, 8:32, 38-39, Ephesians 3:14-19, 1 John 4:7-10, Ephesians 1:4-6, Psalm 21

Lie: God is just like my father.
Truth: God is exactly what he has revealed himself to be in his word. God is infinitely more wise and loving than any earthly father could ever be.
John 1:1, Hebrews 1:3, Hebrews 12:9-10

I'm happy to say I have now found freedom from these!  I'm so thankful to the Lord for speaking his truth through this author.  The truth that so many women (and men) so desperately need to hear.  I wasn't even aware of some of the lies I've been believing.  I would never have said out loud that God wasn't really good.  But when bad things would happen I always doubted just a little bit that God was good and that He really loved me.  If he loved me how could he allow me to have 3 miscarriages when he knew how much we wanted another baby?  Without a doubt, God allowed those miscarriages in order to build me and mold me.  There's only one way to become more like Christ: trials and hardships.  An easy life doesn't produce character.  Miscarriages happen because of sin.  God didn't CAUSE me to miscarriage, but he did ALLOW it to strengthen me (and my family).

Take a good look deep inside your soul and identify the lies you're believing.  When you do this and replace them with God's truth you are disabling Satan's work in your life.  And you are claiming the power God gave you when Christ died for you!  Pick up a copy of Lies Women Believe to help you identify what you believe in your heart of hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment