Monday, November 28, 2011

What Empowers You?

I am nearing the end of my study, Jesus the One and Only.  It's a fabulous study but I am anxious to start my next one.  As much as I like this one, I have gotten more out of the other studies I've done in the last 6 months.  For example, the David study really wow'd me and taught me so much about the nature and love of God.  Then When Godly People Do Ungodly Things was another fascinating study that taught me how to keep myself from "falling" into sin...how to be proactive instead of reactive; how to guard myself against the things that pull me down instead of waiting until after I've been pulled down.  I think next I'll do Beth Moore's new study on James.  It looks great and I've already bought it.

In my lesson yesterday Beth Moore said something that really spoke to me:

"Sometimes I can be smack in the middle of seeking and serving God, living beyond all my "self-stuff," when suddenly something will happen to bring out a reaction in me that reminds me, O Lord, I know nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.  At times an experience like this makes me sob with frustration.  Other times, I simply bend the knee and thank Christ again for humbling me and showing me that He alone is good, for He alone is God.  Any good thing in me is Him."

In our natural, sinful state nothing good lives in us.  We are nothing but fleshly sin walking around until we ask Jesus to make us new.  That's the whole meaning behind my tattoo.


It's my reminder that every time I'm tempted to fall back into old sinful habits and behaviors, I can choose to live as God created me to live...walking in the Holy Spirit Who empowers me to have victory over sin. Don't let that sentence intimidate you.  It means this:  When I'm tempted to let my feelings be hurt because someone said something hurtful, for example, I remember that is pride and selfishness and that's not how God created me.  He didn't create me to be selfish and prideful, He created me to be selfless and humble. Therefore, I choose to not let my feelings be hurt.  It's not about me!  I can have victory over the sin of pride and selfishness!!  How awesome is that?!  Our enemy comes to steal, kill, and destroy (steal our joy, kill us, and destroy our walk with God) but I don't have to let him.  In my flesh, I walk hand in hand with Satan.  But walking in the Spirit enables me to choose otherwise.  And that's awesome.

"Walking in the Spirit" just means that we ask God to fill us with the Holy Spirit every day and then we believe He is with us, especially when we encounter a situation where we need His guidance.  That's what He is...our guidance, our counselor, our conscience.  He is our empowerment.  And that's how we have victory over sin.

Do you find it hard to walk in the Spirit?  What do you think holds you back?

No comments:

Post a Comment