Sunday, December 11, 2011

Gluten Free and Dairy Free

It's hard being gluten free during the holidays.  You're surrounded by gluten everywhere you go.  Everything smells delicious and it's been many months, or even years, since you've had anything with gluten in it.  In my case, I feel so much better without gluten in my body that it's almost not even tempting to be around these foods.  Last night we were at a Christmas party and almost nothing there was gluten free.  The house smelled delicious as we walked in and I thought I might struggle.  But honestly, once I got talking to friends I didn't even notice the smell anymore.  Nor did I remember what was all around me, even though I was hungry.

For me, the battle is small because gluten actually hurts my body. I had gluten accidentally one time last summer and my hips hurt for 2 solid weeks.  It's not worth it.  I wish more people realized this about their own pain.  So many people could be free of pain and meds if they would look at their diets and eliminate the food that's causing them pain.  I realize sometimes it's difficult to find the cause, but it's totally worth it when you do.

Last week I learned something very interesting.  The structure of gluten is very similar to the structure of casein (found in dairy and the reason a lot of people go dairy free).  Our bodies often view these two proteins as the same, therefore, a lot of people who are gluten free are also dairy free.

I had no idea.

I've been GF for almost a year and have been told several times going dairy free would be beneficial, but no one ever explained to me why.  When I heard this last week I decided to go dairy free.  It makes sense to at least give it a try since gluten is so bad for my body.  I have been dairy free for about a month...I honestly don't feel any different yet but I'm convinced to try it for at least 6 months and see what happens.  It can't hurt, right?

I recently found some great websites with gluten free recipes.  I will be honest, I haven't tried the recipes yet, but I do plan on starting tonight.  This week I'd like to experiment and find some fun holiday recipes that will help me enjoy the season just a little more.  Check these out and let me know what you find that you love!


  • GFE (Gluten Free Easily)

Please consider food allergies if you're having pain.  It's totally worth it and SO MUCH better for your body than medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment