Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Meat: To Eat or Not To Eat

I am the biggest animal lover I know.  I love every animal (except snakes).  I don't want to see any animal suffer (even snakes).  I don't want to know how animals are killed for their meat.

This has led me to the question: should I stop eating meat?

I have always struggled eating red meat.  But I like white meat.  I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between the two.

I love steak.

I hate hamburgers and won't touch one with a ten foot pole.

I love taco meat, but only with the grass-fed meat I buy from a local farm (Genesis Beef).

The other day I watched a video on YouTube about free range chickens.  In the first 3 minutes of the 10 minute video I had to turn it off.  I watched how they kill chickens.

Now, my husband is sure that their practices are humane.  He says the way they kill them is the best way to keep them from suffering.

I'm not convinced.

Because I'm not convinced, and because I don't trust most food companies and commercial farming practices, I have decided to stop eating meat.

I'm sure he thinks I'm being dramatic, and maybe you do too.  And you have a right to your opinion.  However, I CANNOT and WILL NOT continue supporting something that I disagree with so strongly.  I actually sobbed for those chickens after I turned off the video.  (See the first sentence of this post.)

The Bible says in Genesis 9:3 - "Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you.  Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."  This means God gave us animals to eat, right?  That's the reason I've been eating meat until now.  But I don't know that God is okay with how we're raising and killing these animals.  It just makes me wonder.

When Jesus ate meat it was well before the mass produced meat we eat today was around, where the animals are overfed and loaded with hormones.

Bible.com has a great answer to my question.  Check it out and give me your thoughts!

For now, I'm a vegetarian.  :)

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you're being dramatic, I just think you're empathetic and I love that about you. I'm against cruelty to any animal while they're alive, and I think they should kill them as painlessly and quickly as possible. I'm also against any kind of growth hormones (I don't mind probiotics and antibiotics though).

    I have no problem with killing animals for food. I have no problem with vegetarians although Vegans seem a little cult-like to me so don't go THAT far ;)

    ReplyDelete