Sunday, March 4, 2012

It's hard being 10!

Oh my goodness, it's hard being a 10 year old girl.  It seems like puberty starts earlier than it used to (due to the diets we consume I'm convinced).  But with all the hormones going in and out of our children's little bodies, how do they combat all the feelings that come with that?

My sweet daughter is at the beginning stages of this.  Today (and many other days in the past) she has cried for no reason.  I ask her what's wrong and she says she doesn't know.

It breaks my heart.

But I know it's "normal."

However, just because it's normal doesn't mean it's easy or well received.  So my daughter and I had a long talk today about how hormones do crazy things to your body at this age and it's okay if she has days of unexplained crying, or unexplained grumpiness, or unexplained anything.  I told her that Daddy and I are always here for her if she wants to talk about those feelings or she can tell us she is sad today and doesn't know why but wants us to pray for her and leave her alone.  I told her she can say this to us as long as she is respectful and not rude.

She has some science assignments that were never turned in (the reason, I don't know yet) so today we are spending the day finishing or locating those assignments to turn in tomorrow.  She does not like it.  She does not like having to spend her Sunday afternoon doing work and she does not like me hovering over her making sure she's doing everything correctly.  I have noticed in the past that she doesn't always answer the review questions quite right...she seems to be in a hurry and doesn't take her time making sure the answer is what the question is actually asking for...know what I mean?  Anyway, she found herself in quite a predicament earlier today when her attitude almost got her a spanking.

This child of mine, who is 10 years old, has had less than a handful of spankings in her life.  Quite the opposite of her brothers.  After the experiences we had with her brothers and because of her natural temperament, we reserve spankings mostly for dishonesty.  She doesn't need a spanking for other behaviors because she is so sensitive it doesn't take much to discipline her.  But today her daddy said he would spank her if her attitude didn't improve.  (This is where the talk about hormones and feelings came in.)

After some crying, a lot of talking, and a small nap her attitude did improve.  :)

And at the end of the day, I love days like today.  We bonded as mother and daughter and enjoyed an afternoon of doing homework outside in the beautiful, sunny, 73 degree weather.

What more could one ask for on a March day?


No comments:

Post a Comment