Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Gluten Free Bakery

Being gluten free is hard.  I've been doing it for 2 years.  It's a lot easier than it was at the beginning...I've learned how to deny myself and not let food control me.

(Yay me!)

That's always a good thing.

But there are still days when I just want a chocolate chip cookie.  Sometimes I want to have a piece of that delicious, mouth-watering birthday cake, even though I know it's not good for me.  But I resist...every time.  I am not one of those people who is "mostly" gluten free.  I do not cheat...EVER.

However, there are times at a Mexican restaurant that I don't ask if their tortilla chips are gluten free (most of the time they are, but not always).  So maybe you can consider that a cheat.

But I have not had bread, cake, cookies, pasta, or anything resembling these things in 2 years...that's 24 months...730 days.  I'm quite proud of myself, really.  I never thought I could do that.  But I also never thought my pain was caused by my food.

That's quite a motivator.

Tim and I celebrated our 13th wedding anniversary on Monday (April 15 - yay tax day!).  We spent the night at our favorite hotel in Irving, TX and the next morning decided to venture out for breakfast.  It's hard for me to eat out...not at a sit-down restaurant as much, but fast food is nearly impossible for me.  We googled "gluten free" and found a place called Tu-Lu's Gluten Free Bakery which was just a few miles away from where we were.  We decided to give it a try.  I mean, if there's a whole actual bakery still in business, it must not be too bad.

Of course, my eyes were way bigger than my stomach when I walked in.  Everything looked so delicious and NONE of it was off limits.

That's a first...at least in 730 days.

We ordered:

  • a chocolate chip cookie (yes, for breakfast)
  • a mini cinnamon coffee cake
  • a large slice of a pumpkin loaf
  • a blueberry muffin
  • a half loaf of their bread


I wanted more but decided I should show some restraint.

Good job, me.

They had donuts, cake balls, cupcakes (regular sized and mini), paninis, brownies...the goodness was never-ending.

I was a little nervous about trying them because what if they were awful?  I've had my share of gluten free goodies that tasted like feet.  Feet were not made for human consumption.

I started with the chocolate chip cookie - you must understand that this is probably the thing I miss the most...they are my favorite treat.

I was not disappointed.  I will be back, if for nothing else, at least for these!

The cinnamon coffe cake was as good as the cookie, nothing short of amazing.

The blueberry muffin was also amazing.  I just couldn't believe that each treat was as good as the previous one.

The pumpkin loaf was not my cup of tea.  I didn't care for it, but my husband, who is not gluten free loved it.

I still have yet to have the bread.  Maybe tomorrow I'll have a sandwich.

The best part of this whole story is that they have a website and you can order ONLINE!!!!!!!!

(I am doing cartwheels in the kitchen now.)

So if you are interested, I highly recommend it.  Take a look - Tu-Lu's Gluten Free Bakery.



1 comment:

  1. This is a great post, I had no idea you were gluten free. I'm wheat free so everything wheat free is gluten free. I so relate to the stuff tasting like feet but so many people suffer from gluten allergies they have stepped up a notch to make sure their customers are happy.
    We found a bakery in town that sells breads and goodies that hard red wheat heritage wheat. A lot of their customers are gluten free and can still eat their things. I can eat it and not react to the wheat which I think is awesome. The loafves of bread are dense so I don't need much it's like a sourdough bread. I felt like you and had to cheat often and was sick.
    I have tried different flours at home but now we found this place I just get their bread.
    Congratulations on your 13th Anniversary so glad you could have that cookie for breakfast. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete